Listed below are a variety of resources that can be used to get help or to educate oneself about domestic violence.
National Domestic Violence Hotline
Phone number: 1-800-799-7233
Provided resources: https://www.thehotline.org/resources/
Domestic Violence is severely under-reported in all cases.
- Only one-third of domestic violence victims seek care for their injuries.
- 50% of all domestic violence incidents are reported to the police.
- Domestic violence hotlines receive about 20,800 calls daily.
- 15% of all violent crimes are accredited to domestic violence incidents.
- The risk of homicide is increased to 500% when a gun is present.
- At least 10,000,000 men and women are abused yearly.
- 10% of women have been sexually assaulted by an intimate partner.
- 25% of women and 14.3% of men have been victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner.
- California is the state with the largest sex trafficking problem.
- Sex trafficking victims are most commonly between the ages of 12 and 14.
- 90% of children exposed to domestic violence directly witness the act.
Domestic violence statistics can never be truly represented due to the trapping nature of this type of abuse. If you know anyone who is a victim of domestic violence, report it to your local police department or to the domestic violence hotline.